Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Lady Who Fell Down in Church


Easter Vigil Mass was a very special event this year. My future daughter-in-law became Catholic. It's been a long-time dream for her and her excitement spilled out on the whole family.

Since my husband, Rex, was one of the Deacons participating in the Mass we had arrived early at the church. A few families were already there claiming the coveted front rows and aisle seats. By the front doors a woman in the vestibule was handing out candles to the congregation as they arrived. I knew the church would be filling up fast so I took my candle and scanned the darkened church to see where I might find a row for our family.

As I entered the church, I decided to head off to the left side where there were some seats available and the third row was still empty. Glancing that way, I was briefly distracted. But then, my attention was suddenly jarred back to the present, when there was a large "splat" right in front of me. To my horror, in front of where I had just stood, was sprawled a lady on the floor. Her legs were spread, despite her lovely skirt; shoes were kicked off in various directions, and her glasses had skidded across the aisle; her purse all but dumped on the floor.

I don't know how long she had been there but three men came running to her aid out of nowhere. They bent down and asked "are you all right"??

I looked at them and said "I'm fine and I didn't even break my candle". They helped me up, and I gathered my shoes as one of the men handed my glasses to me. I stooped over to pick up my scattered shoes and said "I think I'll just go over here (to the pew) and regroup" as I pointed in the direction of a dark, nearby seat.

In the pew, I put on both shoes, my glasses, rearranged my purse and straightened up my rumpled clothing. With great humility and wounded pride, I pulled up what dignity remained and again slowly stood up from the pew. I quickly looked around to see if anyone else had witnessed the deacon's wife falling flat on her face in her Easter finery! Only one lady that I recognized was looking my way, so I was hopeful that this event would be quickly forgotten. I shrugged and smiled in her direction, thinking it would reassure her that I was uninjured.

As I gracefully glided into my chosen pew, third row from the front, I was surprised to see the lights in the church come on. Usually everything stays dark until the procession of the Easter candle. I was grateful that lights were now on as it would help others to see their way into the church, but I did wonder if my episode had contributed to the lights.

Mass was lovely and I was thrilled with the surprise to hear my husband chanting as he carried in the Easter candle "Christ Our Light". He hadn't been scheduled to do that but then I had not planned on tripping and falling either. Upon returning home, late that night, I queried my husband if he had heard about the lady who had fallen down in church before mass started. He said that an usher came into the sacristy and mentioned something about it, suggesting that a light should be turned on. I asked Rex if he heard anything about "who" the lady was that had fallen down. To my great relief he hadn't heard, reassuring me that I hadn't become the talk of the sacristy that night! Then, I enlightened Rex and first received his concern for my physical well-being before we both broke out in hysterical laughter!

No comments: