Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Passing the Baby

Having a newborn in the family to gaze at is such a delight. When that newborn is a cuddly, sweet little girl this grandma can't resist her. This is what caused my scene-inducing episode at church Sunday morning.

As our family grows I find I'm not the only one in the pew anymore at Sunday mass. The kids are coming with their significant others and we almost fill an entire pew now. So, last Sunday, I arrived at 10:30 mass early enough to claim a whole pew. I went in first, followed by youngest son, Matt and his girlfriend, Kelly. We spread out to hint to others, "don't sit here", as more family is on the way. Soon my middle son, Andrew arrived with his fiance, Sarah. They climbed into the pew over Matt and Kelly and sat in the middle. Next arrived Sarah's mom, Lynne She also climbed over Matt and Kelly. All the while I kept scooting further down the pew. Finally Mary and baby Abbi in her carrier arrived. They slipped into the end next to Matt and Kelly who moved down.

Now, what was wrong with this picture? Grandma is at the farthest end from her little treasured Abbi. I usually am spoiled and hold Abbi through mass so this was a problem that needed to be fixed. I leaned over and motioned for Mary to send baby Abbi down the line to Grandma. I could see some quick whispering and giggles at the other end and then slowly it happened.

The cutest little two month old girl, dressed in a white ruffly dress and bright pink sweater started her venture down the pew to grandma. From Uncle Matt to Kelly she went. Matt whispered that he thought she'd be taking awhile to get to me as everyone loves her and wants to cuddle her. Next Lynne held her and whispered "she's so cute", then on to Uncle Andrew who passed her to soon-to-be Aunt Sarah. Now Sarah is not one to share Abbi as we both always want to hold her. Finally, Sarah passed Abbi to Grandma's waiting arms. I was so very blessed and happy to be holding our little cuddly bundle.

Abbi smiled and entertained the people around us who must have watched the passing of the baby. After all, how could they have not seen what the deacon-of-the-mass' family was up to?
Then, it happened little Abbi's lower lip came out into the cutest little pout you've ever seen. She was telling Grandma she wasn't happy anymore. Even her pacifier wasn't going to make her feel better. She was just plain tuckered out and was ready to sleep. So proud Grandma took her to the back where she walked her gently. At one point I stopped and asked a young man standing in the doorway if Abbi's eyes were closed. He started to laugh and said "not at all, they are wide open." Abbi just liked cuddling with grandma and seeing the sites at the back of church. Eventually those little eyes grew heavy and she quietly went to sleep. I slipped back into our pew and finished mass. After mass I felt a tap, tap on my shoulder. It was a sweet lady who must have been observing our mass time antics. She came to congratulate me on my grandbaby. I guess it proved we were noticed! Of course, Sarah was waiting at the end of the pew for me to give baby over to her...I usually tell her "one more song" but this time, the songs at mass ran out and I let Sarah carry our family prize from the church.

No comments: